Sunday, October 2, 2011

Climbin' every mountain, y'all.

When I heard that the geology and oceanography Aggies were taking a trip to the Italian Alps this past weekend, I verbally expressed my jealously. The response from the professor? "You should come!"

In a span of 24 hours, instead of relaxing in town for the weekend, I found myself looking out the train window and feeling like my heart was going to explode from the sheer majesty of the mountains.

We step off the train in Bolzano, and all experience language whiplash; we are so far north that everyone speaks German and Italian.

We spend the afternoon at the Natural Science Museum and then the Ötzi exhibit (the 5300 year old guy who was found frozen in ice). Totally interesting–wasn't bored a bit. Helps that I'm a nerd.

aquarium at the science museum. did you know the Dolomites used to be a coral reef?
teaching moment
we <3 Ötzi

preppin for the hike with some cappuccinos!

just a wee little snowman.
covering Squishy Laura's eyes in the cable car. She's not a fan of heights.




my hiking buddies, MJ and Wilf, oceanography profs. they are seriously precious and a blast to spend time with.





I'm not sure if I'll see a landscape more beautiful than the Alps that we hiked for three and half hours through. Seriously, I feel as if I looked upon the face of God.

Or our little forest-hike, in which we saw these crazy formations called the Earth Pyramids:

and a dude in lederhosen





"The hills are alive with the sound of music / With songs they have sung for a thousand years. / The hills fill my heart with the sound of music. / My heart wants to sing every song it hears! "

No comments:

Post a Comment